Mould and Health in the home

Yes, if you have damp and mould it can affect health in the home you’re more likely to

have respiratory problems, respiratory infections allergies or asthma

Mould growing on the back of furniture
mould on back of furniture

Damp and mould can affect health as it may affect the immune system

Who’s affected?

Some people are more sensitive than others, including:

• babies and children

• elderly people

• those with a weakened immune system, such as those having

• those with existing skin problems, such as eczema

• those with respiratory problems, such as allergies and asthma


These people should stay away from damp and mould.

How does it affect your health?

Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.

Black speckled mould are typically found your bedroom, shower/bathroom and kitchen.

Mould and condensation on a UPVC double glazed window

Cause: Mould and damp are caused by excess water in your building. It is important to have an investigation to identify and rectify the defects.  Atmospheric moisture is the main cause of mould growth in the home and large amounts of water can be introduced into a building as penetrating damp (rain) or water vapour which condenses into a liquid on a cold surface (Dew point).

Showering is like a tropical rainstorm and the moisture vapour produced moves very fast to a colder room due to temperature and air pressure variation.  This is one of the common causes of mould in bedrooms.  Drying your Laundry on radiators has a similar effect.  Poor building maintenance will increase the relative humidity i.e. leaking pipes and penetrating damp.

After investigation, an action plan should be implemented to manage the excess water and the ideal relative humidity range is 40 to 60% RH range using balanced heating and ventilating will manage the excess water vapour and good building maintenance.

You may need a professional to remove mould for you, but if it’s only a small amount i.e. less than 1m2 in total should be able to remove it yourself.

Scroll to Top